Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch?
Every year businesses give away thousands of dollars in free money and gift cards as a way of promoting their websites/products. We’ve put together a list of 16 of them who will give you a ridiculous $1,810.25 in free cash right now.
Some of them are as simple as filling out a form and some of them take a bit more effort, but you can easily knock out all of them in a couple of hours.
Without further ado, here are the 16 companies giving out free money right now….
1. Look at Your Budget on PersonalCapital.com – FREE $10.00
PersonalCapital.com, a portfolio management site, will give you $10 just to open a free account! For those of you who aren’t familiar with PC, their site reminds me a lot of Mint.com. Basically, you input your account information and then their website helps you track your investments, credit card balances and changes to your checking/savings accounts.
The layout is pretty cool too – a number of full-color charts & graphs lets you easily visualize all of your financial accounts at once.
Here’s how to grab the $10…
1. Sign up for PersonalCapital.com using my referral link. The bonus is paid out via Paypal, so my advice is to signup for Personal Capital using your Paypal email address.
3. Add your financial account(s) to your Personal Capital dashboard. You must link at least one account in order to get the bonus.
4. Wait 30 days. Unfortunately, this bonus takes up to a month to pay out, but it’s free money so can I really complain? **You must be a legal resident of the 50 U.S. states or the District of Columbia and 18 years or older in order to claim the bonus**
Update 11/15/2013: This bonus has just changed. Instead of getting a free $10, they are now giving away $20 to Habitat for Humanity for each person that joins.
Read more about it here: “Free $10 for Signing Up at Personal Capital”
2. Trade Stocks at MotifInvesting.com – FREE $100.25
Motif Investing is unique among online brokers, because instead of picking individual stocks, you invest in a cluster of stocks (usually 20 to 30) from a similar field. Sort of like a mutual fund, but the motifs range from Clean Energy, to Republican Companies, to Healthy and Tasty, to Obamacare. Basically any interest you have or trend you’d like to invest in can be found on Motif…
Even, better they’re giving away a ton of cash right now. If you open a new account and make one trade, you’ll earn $50. Make 3 trades, and you’ll earn $75. Make 5 trades, and you’ll earn $150!
Now Motif charges $9.95 for each trade you make, so after making 5 trades, you’ll still be netting $100.25 in extra cash. That’s like getting all of your transaction fees free AND earning $100 extra. Sweet! Signup here - Free $150 Motif Promotion.
Read more about it here: “How to Make $100 This Week with Motif Investing”
3. Get Paid to Complete Tasks at InboxDollars.com – FREE $30.00
There are a number of sites on the web that will pay you to read advertiser’s emails, sign up for offers, and take surveys. I’ve tried about a million of them, but there are only a few of them that I would recommend. Inbox Dollars is one of those companies and I want to show you how I made $30 in a little over an hour completing offers on their site.
It’s free to join Inbox Dollars and best of all, they give you $5 just for signing up! Inbox Dollars just requires that you accumulate $30 in earnings before you can “cash-out” and they pay you by sending a check.
Some sample offers include one that asks you to sign up for a email newsletter from AMF Bowling. That pays 50 cents and takes about 15 seconds. Another offer asks you to sign up for a free account at Turbotax.com to earn $3.50. These are simple and there are nearly a hundred of them to choose from.
If you are interested in giving Inbox dollars a try, visit the sign-up page here to get started.
Read more about it here: “How to Make $30 Quickly with InboxDollars”
4. Try Banking at Capital One 360 – FREE $50.00
About a year ago, Capital One took over ING Direct and started offering free online checking accounts. What’s even cooler is that they’ll give you $50 just to open one.
I’ve already got a checking account that I’m pretty happy with, but I don’t mind opening a second one for some free cash. :)
Here’s how to do it:
1. Open a free checking account with Capital One 360.
2. There’s no minimum deposit with this account, but you’ve got to make at least 3 purchases with your Capital One 360 debit card during the first 45 days of opening the account.
3. On the 50th day, Capital One 360 will deposit a free $50 in your account. Sweet! For those of you who aren’t familiar with Capital One 360, they are a pretty popular virtual bank that gives spectacular interest rates. It’s completely free to open and maintain an account with Capital One 360.
Go claim your $50 and take yourself out to lunch.
Read more about it here: “Free Money Alert: Get $50 from Capital One 360”
5. Open a Netspend.com Account – FREE $20.00
This is another easy $20 just for requesting a prepaid, reloadable card from Netspend. I’ve tested this one and over 200 hundred readers have cashed in on this, so you know it’s a good one.
1. Click HERE and ”Open a NetSpend account” for FREE.
2. You will receive your NetSpend “Visa” Debit card within 10 business days. Mine made it here in 4 days.
3. Once you receive the card, simply log into NetSpend and activate it.
4. In order to get the FREE $20, you’ll need to load the card with a minimum of $40.00 using PayPal, a bank account or one of the other many options.
5. Once you load the $40.00, NetSpend will add $20.00 to your available balance on the card. I confirmed this myself with my own card.
6. Go to the ATM and withdraw the $60.00 total from your card or spend the funds at your local store, online, or wherever you can use a credit card. Yes, if you withdraw the money via ATM or cash back, you’ll be hit with the $2.00 fee for a PIN transaction or a $2.50 ATM Fee (would only be $17.50 – $18.00 bonus in this case). But, you can avoid the fee by ACH transferring it for free back to your bank
Read more it here: “Free $20 Cash for Signing Up at Netspend”
6. Do Your Shopping via Ebates.com – FREE $10.00
The folks over at Ebates.com, the cash-back shopping site, are giving away $10 gift cards when you sign-up as a new member. You can choose either a $10 Target, Walmart, Macy’s, or Kohl’s gift card. You need to make a $25 purchase at any of the stores on their shopping list in order to qualify for the free gift card.
I certainly don’t recommend spending $25 just to get a $10 gift card, but if you have plans to buy something online anyway, I would definitely cash in on this… Especially if you’ve got a gift card from a birthday or Christmas that needs to be spent. Look at this as a way to get a little bit extra back on your purchase.
Some of the cash-back offers I use frequently include the 3% back on iTunes purchases, 1% back on Apple store purchases, and 3% back on Target purchases. But there are a ton of stores to pick from as well.
Read more about it here: “Get a FREE $10 Target Gift Card from Ebates.com”
7. Sign Up an Account at OptionsExpress – FREE $100.00
Here’s another great way to make some free cash. This one is through OptionsXpress, a Charles Schwab affiliated brokerage house where you can trade stocks and options.
From now until December 31, 2013, OptionsXpress is offering new US customers a $100 bonus when you open an Individual or Joint account and fund it with at least $500.
1. Open a new Individual or Joint account (IRAs, other tax-exempt, linked, or shared accounts are excluded from this offer).
2. Fund your new account with at least $500 cash or securities transferred from a brokerage firm other than OptionsXpress.
3. Make at least 3 trades within 12 months of account opening.
4. The $100 bonus will be deposited into your account within one month of meeting the terms and conditions of this offer.
5. Maintain at least $500 in your account for 6 months (excluding trading losses), if not, the $100 bonus will be deducted from your account.
Read more about it here: “Look! OptionsExpress is Giving Away a Free $100 to New Account Holders”
8 – 12. Sign Up for a New Credit Card – FREE $1,375.00
One of the best ways for a Penny Hoarder to make some serious extra cash is to take advantage of credit card sign up bonuses. Of course, to get the most benefit, you should have excellent credit, and you should routinely pay off your credit card in full each month so you’re not paying interest. (After all, every time you pay interest, you’re losing some of the positive effects of the bonuses.)
Just recently I received over $1,300+ in credit card bonuses by selectively choosing new cards to apply for and use. All I had to do was put my regular spending on the credit card over the course of a few months.
Barclaycard Arrival - $400 Signup Bonus
US Bank FlexPerks Card - $175 Signup Bonus
Chase Sapphire Preferred Card - $400 Signup Bonus
Citi ThankYou Preferred Card - $200 Signup Bonus
American Express Gold - $200 Signup Bonus
For those of you wondering, here’s a great article on how to do this without hurting your credit score: How Opening and Closing Credit Cards Affects Your Credit Score
Read more about it here: “5 Credit Card Promotions That Made me $1,375”
13. Take 5 Minutes and Open a Betterment.com Account – FREE $25.00
Betterment is a simple, online tool that allows anyone to invest in stocks & bonds without incurring transaction fees. It’s become pretty popular with small investors who want to start saving, but can’t afford the expensive fees you find at places like Etrade.com and Merrill Lynch. Plus, they’ll give you a free $25 just to signup!
1.) Open a free account at Betterment.com. The form takes about 90 seconds to fill out, so can literally do this while sitting in the doctor’s office or while watching television.
2.) You need to make an opening deposit of $250 or more within 60 days of opening your account. If you’re not ready to make a deposit right now, my advice is that you go ahead and fill out the Betterment promotion form today. You can always make the deposit later, but this way you’ll have the promotion locked in, just in case the promotion ends.
3.) Once you’ve deposited $250 (and waited 60 days), Betterment.com will deposit a FREE $25 bonus into your account. How easy is that? You can then withdraw your entire account balance or you can keep the $275 invested and earning interest with Betterment.
Right now this is USA only.
Read more about it here: “How to Make $25 While Sitting in a Waiting Room”
14. Open an Account at Serve.com – FREE $50.00
Serve is American Express’s version of a prepaid, reloadable card and they are offering $50 when you open a free account, sign up for direct deposit and have two direct deposits put in your account. That’s a FREE $50 for about 5 minutes of work. Sweet!
And here’s a tip: You can direct deposit a number of things besides your regular paycheck. I like to keep my paycheck going to my primary bank account, but for bank bonuses, I use other sources of income to fund it. Try to think of another place that you get monthly income from. Do you get a social security check? Insurance check? Second job income? Mystery shopping payouts? A number of the “paid-to-email” sites also offer direct deposit. I know that Fusion Cash does, because I get a nice cash-out from them on the 20th of every month.
Here’s a link to the promo page: Serve.com $50 Bonus
Read more about Serve.com here: “How to Get a Free $50 from Serve.com”
15. Transfer Your Prescription to a New Pharmacy- FREE $25.00
If you’re one of the 70% of Americans with a monthly prescription from your doctor, I’ve got an easy way for you to make $25 bucks. Several of the national grocery and drug store chains have been know to run promotions where they will give you free cash or a gift card when you transfer a prescription to their store.
For example, this month Walgreens is running a promotion where they will give you a $25 gift card for transferring a prescription to your local Walgreens. You can usually find these coupons in your Sunday newspaper circulars or on coupon blogs like DealSeekingMom.com and MoneySavingMom.com. You can even repeat this deal every month with a different pharmacy. :)
Read more about it here: “Here’s a Neat Trick to Make $25/month if You Have a Prescription”
16. Download the Mobile Expressions App on Your Smartphone or Tablet – FREE $15.00
MobileXpression is a research company that studies internet trends and reports to their clients about the popularity of different mobile phone websites. They are currently looking for a few thousand cell phone and tablet users to share some of the websites they are browsing on their mobile devices. All of the sharing is done with a special software that is installed on your phone and it doesn’t require any real work from you. Plus, they’ll give you a free $15 just to give it a try. Even better, you can also uninstall the software at any time if you decide you no longer want to participate.
How it works…
1. Sign up at MobileXpressions here – You’ll need to share a little bit of information about your demographic which is similar to signing up as a Nielsen household. You’ll also need to tell them what kind of cell phone you have, because their software is only compatible with certain types of phones.
2. Download their software – It seems to be pretty easy and it runs in the background of your phone just like any other cell phone app. The site says it will have no affect on your mobile phone performance.
3. Send your data – This step doesn’t really require any work from you as the software automatically send the relevant data to MobileXpression. They don’t monitor your phone calls or personal information but they do check out the web pages you view, the links you access, and the usage times for certain device activities (e.g., text messaging, call lengths, and web browsing).
4. Collect your rewards – MobileXpressions will send you a $15 Visa gift card just for signing up and downloading the software. They also reward members with weekly contests and will have a drawing for $100,000 jackpot at the end of the year.
Read more about it here: “Get Paid $15 to Share Your Favorite Website”
There you have it. If you’ve finished the list, you’ve just made $1810.25 in FREE money.
Feel free to take the weekend off.
Good luck Penny Hoarders!
Note: we want to be up front with you on this – we may have a relationship with some of these companies. While we genuinely recommend them, we do want you to be aware that they’re a sponsor and are helping to grow The Penny Hoarder as a community.
Source: “How to Get Free Money – These 17 Companies Will Give You $1,820.25“